They couldn't afford to raise any objections even if they’d wanted to.
他们即使想反对也不好提出来。
They can afford me no aid.
他们对我爱莫能助。
He could not afford to wait till the next day before seeing Thomasin and detailing his plan***
他恨不得马上就见朵马荪,去把他的计划详详细细对她陈述 出来,连第二天都等不得…
We cannot afford to drift.
我们不能随波逐流.
By the end of eleven years, however, Mrs. Price could no longer afford to cher?ish pride or resentment, or to lose one connection that might possibly assist her.
十一年后,普莱斯太太已人穷志短,傲气丧尽,怒气收敛,不能再和这么一门可能对她有所支援的亲戚互不往来了。
Would the union help by lending money enough to provide a five-dollar stake for each volunteer who could not afford it?
工会肯不肯借笔款子,发给手头拮据的志愿者每人五块以解燃眉之急?
A poor person cannot afford to get sick.
穷又生不起病.
The fast-growing cities, moreover, afforded the largest public America had yet known for the appreciation of letters and arts, and greatly increased the chances for the discovery of talent in all fields.
此外,这些迅速扩大的城市使美国有史以 来最广泛的民众得以欣赏文学和艺术,并且大大地增加了 发现各方面才能的机会。
Then he had read newspaper reports of the stealthy goings and comings of rebel spies in our midst, and of their lurid purposes and their two or three startling achievements, till his imagination was all aflame on that subject.
后来他又看到报纸上报道叛军的间谍到 我们这边来潜伏活动的情况,以及他们那可怕的企图和两 三次轰动一时的成功,结果他的脑子里就把这个问题想入非非了。
And in addition he was aflame with democracy.
并且他还热中于民主。
Perhaps it was…the mere accident of our having en?tered the school upon the same day, which set afloat the no?tion that we were brothers.
说不定,就因为我们碰巧同天进校,才流传开我们是弟兄的说法。
Stories were afloat of a mysterious figure being occasionally seen in some old overgrown trackway or other, remote from turnpike roads ...
大家纷纷传说离开康庄大道很远的地方某处簇叶丛生的林中小径上,偶而有人见到一个神秘的人影…
“I cannot understand what is afoot unless I see for myself,” Churchill once said.
有一次邱吉尔说:“除非我亲眼见到的事,我总不大相信它进行得怎么样。”
I suppose that was because they always used to put the biggest fool afore …
俺想那大概是因为他们老叫那顶傻的大傻子去挡头阵吧…
But I can’t help being afraid.
可是我心里总有些嘀咕。
Mitch, though, was never afraid.
不过,米契倒是从不畏惧。
“I am afraid, Sergeant.” she said hurriedly, “that you’ ll have to go now.”
“中士,我看,”她忙不迭下逐客令,“你该走了”
I am afraid the baronet, whose name you are unwilling to mention to me, has done you some grievous wrong?
大概,您不愿意向我指名道姓的那个准男爵做过很对不起您的事情吧?
Richard was a brave warrior. He was afraid of nothing,and no savage beast was more fond of fighting.
理查是个勇敢的武士,他天不怕地不怕,生性好斗,程度之甚,胜过野兽。
He felt that his life at school had been a failure. He wanted to start afresh.
他觉得学校生活很失意, 想从头再来.
After the African trip Jung was seized by a new urge.
非洲之行后,荣格又为一种新的念头所驱使。
He was after his favorite sport of squirrel shooting …
他专心在打松鼠,这是他最喜欢的活动
The big comfortable bedroom all seemed very great luxury af?ter the Guttingens.
这舒适的卧室比起葛廷庚 来就豪华多了。
Buck did not like it, but he bore up well to the work, taking pride in it after the manner of Dave.
布克不喜欢这种工作,不过他坚持了下来, 效法德夫以辛勤劳动为荣。
…said he, as he returned from attending them to their carriage after the said din?ner visit.
那次宴罢,他把她们送上马车之后回来 时说道…
If you make a bad shot and started one hog screaming, all the others would be after you.
如果你一枪打空,把一只猪激得怪声尖叫,其他的猪都不会放过你。
You re going to be a very rich woman and all the sharks and the confidence tricksters and the rest of them will be after you.
你将成为一个很富有的妇女,这一来,各种敲诈勒索者、先骗取信任再骗取钱财的骗子,还有其他这类人都会蜂拥而来,
Now, although Saum was rich and great, he was very unhappy; for he had no son to rule his kingdom after him.
萨阿姆虽然富有而且声威赫赫,但他很不愉快;因为他没有儿子来继承他统治 他的王国。
What’s good for one is bad for another, and you won't know till after.
对一个人是好的东西,对另 一个人却不见得好,而不到时过境迁,你没法知道。
After they had crawled over that, they could stand up and proceed, bent over, behind its cover.
一俟登上 那曲面,他们便可凭借地形的掩护,站起身猫腰前进了。
Then will I show sign after sign and portent after portent in the land of Egypt.
然后我将不断地在埃及显现神迹。
Our allies are the millions who hunger and thirst after righteousness.
那些对正义如饥似渴的千百万人民, 就是我们的盟友.
I'm after bread.
我来买面包.
“ Yes, I did, Mr. Lobbs. I did come after your daughter. I love her, Mr. Lobbs,” said Nathaniel.
“是的,我是,洛布斯先生--我是为了追求您的女儿才来的。我爱她,洛布斯先生。”
I dare say he was in love with you after a fashion.
我敢说,他只是随随便便地爱你.
After all, it was he who was chiefly humiliated.
说到头来,这回主要还是他丢了面子。
I began to feel that there was something after all in Ernest’s contention.
我开始感到安纳斯特声色俱厉的话到底有一点儿 道理.
After all, we know what’s been done, and it's been according to contract and specifications.
横竖咱们都知道已经下了什么功夫,一切都是按照合同和规 定办的。
After all, Joygopal is your husband.
归根结底,乔格普尔是你的男人啊。
After all, hadn't it been his own perennial scores upon scores of cockfights that had earned it?
说到底,这难道不是他自己用 一盘又一盘的小斗鸡赢来的钱积攒起来的吗?
The two perspiring ants decide that dried grasshopper legs are a poor sort of property after all.
两只汗流浃背的蚂蚁…认为干蚱蜢腿根本是破烂货。
After all, he had found the way to this place.
不管怎么说,是他发 现了送条路的。
And after all, why was he here?
可是,他到底要在这儿干什么?